BSL- Could Lennox’s story be the final straw for change?
In case you have been in hiding or just not connected to the internet over the past week, the story of Lennox, a family’s pet dog taken and impounded by Belfast City Council for the last 2 years came to a tragic end today when he was put to sleep by order of the county court after drawn out court cases and appeals by his family.
The reason – he looked like a ‘Pit-Bull’
Lennox’s story went viral on social media after his family released a statement that they could go no further with their appeal, they had reached the end without seeing their boy for nearly 2 years and they had no hope left.
Facebook and Twitter exploded and even Victoria Stillwell (It’s me or the Dog) tried to step in and help to no avail. Hear what she has to say here
BSL if you haven’t heard of this before is Breed Specific Legislation, in the UK and N.Ireland it’s the Dangerous Dog Act 1991, but there are BSL’s either in force already in some countries or trying to be brought into force in nearly any western country you can name. The one thing we do know about Breed Specific Legislation is that it doesn’t work.
Cesar Milan made this statement on his website today While I cannot comment or speak to this dog specifically, since I have not met him, I want to say that in general, my belief is that it is not the breed that causes behavior issues. I do not support breed bans or breed specific legislation in any way and with any case of aggression or behavioral problems, I advocate for rehabilitation as the first recourse.
BSL has almost made owning a so called ‘Dangerous Dog‘ a statement for the nutters, the criminals and the wanna-be’s ‘Hey look how hard I am’. The truth is that breeds like the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a fantastic, robust and loving breed has been brought almost to the brink. There are more Staffies and Staff crosses, as a breed, in most rescue centres, shelters and pounds than any other breed in the UK and Ireland. And sadly,most of them have to be put to sleep because there are just too many of them and not enough homes.
So the question is Will the sad story of Lennox finally unite the experts and nations of dog lovers needed to make this shift in getting breed specific legislation changed? I hope so, in the name of Lennox
If you were fighting and writing to help Save Lennox, then maybe you can do something for the poor ones still waiting in dog pounds, shelters and rescues. Maybe help out by walking, helping in the office or posting photos for the rescue on social media sites. Offer to do some fundraising, give old bedding, towels and dog stuff to the ones who need it or if you have the time and love, offer a temporary foster home for a homeless soul who needs one instead of sitting in a concrete cell, alone. It’s time we all put our money where our mouth is and actually help make a difference.
Sign a petition to change BSL- Lennox’ Law
Help a breed rescue – The Kennel Club Breed Rescue
I know Dog Lovers as a Breed CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Tags: Belfast City Council, Breed Rescues, Breed Specific Legislation, BSL, Bull breeds, Cesar Milan, Dangerous Dog Act, dogs, facebook, Lennox, Make a difference, Petition, Pit Bulls, Save Lennox, social media, Staffies, Twitter, Victoria Stillwell
- We're just about to start, are you joining us ? aweber.com/t/Cg3hJVisit my website @ www.4dogenterprises.com 5 years ago
- RT @oldiesclub: No-one wants our medium mongrels, like Schmirny ( oldies.org.uk/?p=87506) Can't understand it. They're my favourites! http:/…Visit my website @ www.4dogenterprises.com 7 years ago
- I'm raising funds for Border Terrier W'fare UK, a group I've helped for the past 4ysr Get a Cool To Be Kind wristband ow.ly/vV36jVisit my website @ www.4dogenterprises.com 7 years ago
- @will_young31 I'd love to see you sport a Cool to be Kind wristband for Border Terrier Welfare as we love Esme, can I send you one?Visit my website @ www.4dogenterprises.com 7 years ago
- @andy_murray I'd love to see you sport a Cool to be Kind Wristband for Border Terrier Welfare, we love Maggie May and Rusty can I send you 1Visit my website @ www.4dogenterprises.com 7 years ago